It’s been 20 year since The Death of the West: How Dying Populations and Immigrant Invasions Imperil Our Country and Civilization, by Pat Buchanan, was published. Buchanan, whose columns regularly appear on Townhall.com, was an original host on CNN’s Crossfire, and was an assistant and a special consultant to Richard Nixon, Gerald Ford, and Ronald Reagan.
Buchanan is the author numerous best selling books on politics, history, and conservative causes. Viewed from 2021, in The Death of the West, Buchanan hit the mark on a variety of topics, which raises the question, could we have been better prepared to counter the Leftist onslaught?
Buchanan on Europe
Europe will be inundated by an Islamic-Arab-African invasion, and most First World nations will have begun to slowly vanish from the earth. Relying upon UN population studies, Buchanan noted that:
* By 2050, only 10% of the world’s people will be of European descent. One third of Europe’s people will be over 60, and one-in-ten over 80. Involuntary euthanasia has already come to Europe.
* Between now and 2050, Asia, Africa, and Latin America will grow by three to four billion people — 30 to 40 new Mexicos! — as Europe will lose the equivalent of the entire population of Germany, Poland, and Scandinavia.
Buchanan observed that either Europe must effect a radical cutback in pensions and health care for seniors, or Europe must import scores of millions of Arabs and Africans to care for the elderly and pay the taxes to sustain their welfare states.
The Middle East
The 4.2 million Palestinians in Israel, and on the West Bank and Gaza, will explode to 9 million by 2025 and 15 million by 2050, Buchanan predicted, at which time when Palestinians will outnumber Israel’s Jewish population two-to-one.
* The Islamic invasions of Spain and France in the eighth century, and of the Balkans and Central Europe from the 14th to the 17th centuries, will be reenacted in the years to come. Islam has already surpassed Catholicism as the largest religion on earth.
* Christian nations – Catholic, Protestant, and Orthodox – have begun to die. In the chapter “Where Have All the Children Gone?” Buchanan explains why the West can’t solve the demographic crisis before it leads to ‘The Death of the West.’
An invasion of the U.S. is taking place, Buchanan warned (20 years ago), and America now harbors a “nation within a nation.”
* There are 30 million foreign-born in the U.S. today and between 9 and 11 million illegal aliens, or as many undocumented aliens in the U.S. as there are people in Rhode Island, Massachusetts and Connecticut.
* Mexico is exporting its poor and unemployed for U.S. taxpayers to employ and educate. Radical and militant Hispanics and Mexican leaders alike believe this will lead to the cultural and demographic recapture of the Southwest from the U.S., reversing the results of The Mexican War.
* By supporting open borders, the GOP is committing suicide. First-time Hispanic voters chose Clinton 15-1 over Dole. Of the seven major immigration states — Florida Massachusetts, New York, New Jersey, Illinois, California, and Texas — Bush lost five, and perhaps six. Bush won all 10 states with the smallest share of immigrants.
* European-Americans are a minority in America’s most populous state, California, and by 2004 in Texas as well. As of 2000, there were 8.4 million foreign-born in California, as many people as there are in New Jersey. This was a primary cause of state energy and schools crises.
* The agenda of California Hispanics includes race welfare for illegal aliens, racial preferences, bilingual education, open borders, dual citizenship, Cinqo de Mayo as a state holiday, and, in one case, replacing a statue of an American hero of the Mexican War with the Aztec god Quetzacoatl.
* 100,000 Caucasian Americans are fleeing California yearly.
* In 2001 in Mexico, an Office for Mexicans Abroad was providing survival kits with everything from dried meat to anti-diarrhea pills to condoms to Mexicans setting off to break into the United States .
* Among Third World immigrants, poverty rates and incarceration rates are double and triple what they are among native-born Americans.
Twenty years ago, Buchanan proclaimed that the 1960s “counter-culture” has become America’s dominant culture, and the iconoclasts of that counter-culture are demolishing America’s history and heritage.
* Under ‘Political Correctness,’ America’s greatest heroes – soldiers, explorers and statesmen from Columbus to George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Andrew Jackson, Robert E. Lee, Stonewall Jackson – are under savage attack as genocidal racists and exploiters of indigenous peoples.
* The history books of American public schools are being rewritten with the old heroes ignored or trashed and Western civilization disparaged and demeaned.
* With the assault on Confederate books, symbols, flags, heroes, and holidays almost complete, the attack is now proceeding against the Puritan fathers, soldiers who fought in The Mexican War, and, in New Jersey, even against the Declaration of Independence itself.
* In some school districts, Mark Twain, Flannery O’Connor, and any valid portrayal of the American South, including Harper Lee’s To Kill a Mockingbird, are now forbidden.
Alas, even the great Smithsonian Museums, which were once used to introduce school children to the greatness and glory of America’s past, are being used to indoctrinate children in how wicked and evil our forefathers were.
Buchanan saw all this 20 years ago. Where, among those on the right, was everyone else?
Continue reading: Pat Buchanan and “The Death of the West” ...