The following article, Debate Commission Says Next Presidential Debate Will Be Virtual; Trump Refuses To Participate, was first published on Flag And Cross.
The Commission on Presidential Debates announced Thursday the next debate between President Trump and Democratic nominee Joe Biden would be done virtually with both individuals in different locations. However, this did not go over well with President Donald Trump who says he will not participate in this kind of format.
The reason for the new format is clearly the president’s COVID-19 positive test that was administered last week. Trump has been recovering well from the illness after being released from the hospital where he spent three days in recovery.
“The second presidential debate will take the form of a town meeting, in which the candidates would participate from separate remote locations,” the commission said in a statement, according to CNN. “The town meeting participants and the moderator, Steve Scully, Senior Executive Producer & Political Editor, C-SPAN Networks, will be located at the Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts of Miami-Dade County in Miami, Florida. The White House Pool will provide coverage of the second presidential debate.”
Trump responded to the news on Fox Business minutes after the announcement, saying, “I’m not gonna do a virtual debate.”
“I’m not gonna do a virtual debate,” Trump said on Fox Business just now.
— Maggie Haberman (@maggieNYT) October 8, 2020
A team of doctors, led by White House physician Dr. Sean Conley, cleared Trump for release on Monday. The president is at the White House recovering from COVID-19 after a stint at Walter Reed Medical Center.
“Over the past 24 hours, the president has continued to improve. He’s met or exceeded all standard hospital discharge criteria,” Conley stated Monday before just before Trump was released from the hospital. “He’ll receive another dose of Remdesivir here today, and then we plan to get him home. It’s been more than 72 hours since his last fever — oxygen levels, including ambulatory saturations and his … breathing are all normal. Though he may not entirely be out of the woods yet, the team and I agree that all our evaluations, and most importantly his clinical status, support the president’s safe return home, where he’ll be surrounded by world-class medical care 24/7.”
Both President Trump and First Lady Melania Trump tested positive for the illness on October 2. With the diagnosis came questions about whether or not Trump would be in good enough health to attend the debate, mostly due to the fact that the virus typically hits folks who are overweight and in his age range rather hard.
Biden has stated that if Trump still has the virus on October 15, the debate should just be cancelled.
“Well, I think if he still has COVID, we shouldn’t have a debate,” Biden told the press. “I think we’re gonna have to follow very strict guidelines. Too many people have been infected and it’s a very serious problem.”
“And so I’ll be guided by the guidelines of the Cleveland Clinic, and what the docs say is the right thing to do — if and when he shows up for debate,” he said.
Guess we’ll have to wait and see if there even is a second debate at this point. What a crazy election cycle this is turning out to be.